Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Turtle: Totem

Dear readers, here is a very quick post - I promise more later. I was fortunate enough to find this painting recently and wanted to share it with you. The piece is called Turtle: Totem.


Here is what the artist, a mythworker who goes by the callsign Inspiritous at deviantart, had to say about that great blue creature:

Turtle - Totemic:
Due a very stressful period of my life I was constantly having bad dreams and nightmares. During one, I felt myself sink into deep, blue water. I saw the sun filtering down through the water and waves, and slowly a large gnarled, ugly Turtle passed over me. This huge behemoth of a creature, scar covered, and armoured created a feeling of peace within me. The next day, I painted this.

Ah, "behemoth" - there is a beautiful word that we don't use nearly enough. And so well the word describes both that turtle and the feeling it evokes. As a man whose totem is the tree kangaroo, I am far too bouncy and hyper for my own good. I would enjoy having a friend whose totem was something as solid and at peace as an armoured sea turtle.

No comments: