Monday, March 17, 2008

"What Big Teeth You Have, Grandma!"

I found this quite by accident and had to share it with you - the piece is Werewolf by Martin McKenna. Look at those long canines; at the lean, starved musculature - in this creature that could embody the word feral.

Oddly enough, I don't really see a wolf when I look at the piece - it makes me think either of a jaguar about to pounce, or of Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky - the jaws are gaping in the same way, and the bony hock of that foreleg is almost like a vestigial wing, if glanced at from the right angle. I would not want to meet this one in the dark. At least, not unless I had a vorpal blade handy so that I could come happily gallumphing back.

Don't forget to join in our discussion of wolf folklore. Or post a comment or a link here to let us know of a werewolf portrait you find particularly vital, chilling, or poignant.

No comments: