Friday, November 16, 2007

"My Best Friend Rusts"

I ran into this poem a year back:

Soft rains
My best friend
rusts


So evocative -

- and a skilled minimalist haiku (a haiku is like a drop of water on a pond surface: you catch your breath and, after a still moment, feel the ripples). But for the life of me I can't find out who wrote it. I suspect Tom Brinck. If anyone can help, please post a comment.

In the meanwhile, here is an intriguing website:

http://www.scifaiku.com/what/

Goofy name aside, this manifesto for "scifaiku" is actually informed and very good. The samples of haiku offered are also very good, though most of what is currently written in this sub-sub genre isn't. The manifesto deserves a look, and cries out for more poets to discover it. An unexpected genre, and one dedicated to the celebration of the unexpected: and in its best moments (like that posted above) there is potential for staggering beauty.

No comments: